Saturday, January 8, 2011

Paying it Forward... Even if it's only Five Dollars...

I cried this morning.

It could have been my crazy pregnant hormones, but I'd like to think that it's because I read a post today from an amazing blog that touched a piece of my heart. And I'd like to share it with you.

A little less than a year ago, I found this Blog post of a woman who had just given birth to a beautiful baby girl, Nella, who has Down Syndrome. Her name is Kelle Hampton. She is a Photographer, A Wife, A Mother, and an Amazing Writer. It was composed so beautifully and filled with so much emotion, that I read it many times, and have been reading it ever since. I really do thank her for documenting this year so well and allowing the world to learn and grow with her.

This morning on her Blog, www.kellehampton.com, I read her words.

"When I sat down to write this post earlier this afternoon, I intended to make this about Nella. But, I've learned something more this year. I've learned to look beyond. While yes, the rawness of loving my own child and imagining her almond eyed, milky-cheeked, tiny-toothed grin on the face of every other child with Down syndrome is what initiated my purpose in this new world, it has become more. I care not just because my daughter personally connects me to this greater world but because I have learned to see their hearts, their capabilities, their spirit, their determination, their love."

And then she gave her readers a challenge.

"So, here's the deal.

I'm going to ask you for something. And it's really important to me. To a lot of people.

I'm going to ask you to think about what you've taken from this space this year. I have felt incredibly inspired by not only the feeling of community here but by this productive push toward good that arises simply from the understanding of the power of a group of people connected in a small way on the Interweb but, more importantly, in a much greater way within this vast world. And so, I'm asking you again, have you gained anything from visiting this space this year? A smile, a thought, a connection, the encouragement to dig deeper or let your own voice speak out. If you have, I'm asking you to give back today. Please, pay it forward.
In honor of our girl's first year, we are asking you to give back to her. And the 400,000 other individuals living with Down syndrome in the United States alone.

The mission of the NDSS is to create a culture that fully accepts and includes individuals with Down syndrome.
Let me say that more clearly. The mission of the NDSS is to create a culture that fully accepts and includes our little girl. Our Nella."

And this is how you can do it... you can donate to the National Down Syndrome Society through Nella's ONEder Fund. Her goal THIS MORNING was to raise $15,000 in the TWO WEEKS from today to Nella's Birthday. That goal was passed in about 12 hours. So, now she has doubled it. 30,000 in two weeks.
It just fills me so much hope and happiness that so many people would donate, even small amounts, $1...$5...$15... to such a great organization that is dedicated to making people's lives better.

I would love to live in a world that fully accepts people living with Down Syndrome.

And that's why we paid it forward today too. And here is some more... getting the word out. :)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment on our Jaunt